One of the main reasons many people prefer VPN is the transfer of geo-restricted content. This could be catalogs of Netflix or Hulu of another country, TV streaming services, or even live events that may not be available locally.
VPN technology: how does it work?
VPN is a safe, codify connection of a user to the network, with which he can bypass local restrictions and maintain confidentiality. A virtual network means that its operation is not affected by which and how many communication channels it is laid. Because the physical network (a group of computers or devices connected by common communication channels) does not belong to the virtual user.
A private network means that a limited number of people can be in it. VPN marks all its participants and the information they transmit. The data is protected from third parties by encryption. VPN is responsible for keeping the data confidential – it does not let unauthorized users in, checks the traffic source and makes sure that the transmitted data does not leak out of the network in cleartext.
When a user logs on to the network, his device is assigned a unique IP address. It enables third parties to identify him and spy – see what sites he opens, what information he searches in search engines, what he buys, and so on.
When VPN is activated, the original IP address is no longer visible. Instead, the virtual private network address is displayed.
VPN encrypts data using the following protocols:
- OpenVPN is optimal in terms of a set of characteristics (speed, degree of protection, and reliability). It is used as the main one by most VPN services. Its plus is open source. This allows third-party developers to study it and look for vulnerabilities. If it is found, the owner company is quickly notified of the need to eliminate it;
- L2TP / IPSec is the main alternative to OpenVPN. However, his reputation is much lower. Recent leaks suggest that the US National Security Agency (NSA) has encryption keys to it;
- IKEv2 – Suitable for smartphones. The main feature is the ability to automatically reconnect to the network when the connection is broken (for example, in a metro tunnel). Its other advantage is its high data transfer rate. Among the disadvantages are the limited number of compatible operating systems and the complexity of installation;
- SSTP is an ideal protocol for working with a Windows computer, officially supported by Microsoft, and is its own development. Easy to set up, fast to work. Minus – the complexity of installation on other operating systems;
- PPTP is a popular and at the same time the most unreliable protocol. It has a high connection speed and an extremely low level of protection. The US NSA has been proven to have encryption keys in his possession.
The most suitable VPN services for Hulu
If you are looking for the best possibility to watch Hulu content, a VPN service is a great solution. There are the well-known Hulu VPN options:
- Private Internet Access
They are, of course, all excellent in terms of security, privacy, speed, and functionality – but each has its own unique advantage. So, in terms of price/quality ratio, NordVPN is the best among the top providers – which means the most attractive option for those who want maximum quality with a minimum investment.
It also should be mentioned, that Surfshark uses over 1,700 servers worldwide, providing unrivaled connection speeds from anywhere, and advanced security protocols to bypass even the most sophisticated filters.